Reboots was: RE: [TCLUG:17072] Rebuttal

>Nope.  There's *nothing* network-related in Linux that requires a reboot
>(except for actually yanking out the network card, I suppose).

        on really well designed hardware, pulling hot components is a nearly
routine matter.
        for instance; one can yank a live, running processor out of an IBM
S/390 mainframe (or one of the Hitachi or Amdalhl clones); and provided it's
running one of the approved OS'es (OS/390 or VM), the machine will blink
twice and keep on going uninterrupted. (all while supporting 10,000 active
users at sub-second response times; but that's another matter).
        I don't think you can *upgrade* the processors without rebooting it
(tho you may be able to reboot *parts* of it at a time); but that's about
the only time one of those machines *ever* is taken down. :)

at the far extreme; you can take a Tandem NonStop or a Stratus, and rip out
half the components, and it'll keep on working. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091