Re: [TCLUG:17218] IHATEYOU

Here is what I have found in passing so far...

> http://www.thepope.org/index.pl?node_id=140

Here is the another suggestion from TrendMicro
(http://www.trendmicro.com). if you seeking for a solution
to remove LoveLetter

1.Click START|RUN
Type REGEDIT and hit ENTER key

2.In the left panel, click the "+" to the left of the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run

3.In the right panel, search for the registry key that contains the data
value of ?:\Windows\System\MSKernel32.vbs" and ?\WIN-BUGSFIX.exe?.
These are the registry keys that grant the capability to load the worm
whenever Windows starts up.

4.In the right window, highlight the registry key that loads the file
and
press the DELETE key. Answer YES to delete the entry.

5.Search for the registry key that contains the data  value
of ?:\Windows\System\ Win32DLL.vbs". This is the registry key that
enables the worm to run each time Windows is started.

6.In the right window, highlight the registry key that loads the file
and press
the DELETE key. Answer YES to delete the entry.

 7.Exit the registry.

8.Click START|SHUTDOWN. Choose "Restart in MS-DOS mode" and click OK.

9.After the computer has restarted, the default directory should C:\.

10.Subsequently, type ?DEL WIN-BUGSFIX.exe?.

11.Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and allow Windows to restart.

12.You may also delete the file detected as VBS_LOVELETTER by Trend
antivirus
is to ensure  re-infection does not occur.
----------- From F-Secure Virus Information-----------------------
 VBS/LoveLetter is a VBScript worm. It spreads thru email as a
chain letter.

The worm uses the Outlook e-mail application to spread.
LoveLetter is also a overwriting VBS virus, and it spreads itself
using mIRC client as well.

When it is executed, it first copies itself to Windows System
directory as:

  - MSKernel32.vbs
  - LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs

 and to Windows directory:

   - Win32DLL.vbs

Then it adds itself to registry, so it will be executed when the
system is restarted. The registry keys that it adds are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVers
ion\Run\MSKernel32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVers
ion\RunServices\Win32DLL

Next the worm replaces the Internet Explorer home page with a link
that points to an executable program "WIN-BUGSFIX.exe". If the
file is downloaded, the worm adds this to registry as well; causing
that the program will be executed when the system is restarted.

After that, the worm creates a HTML file, "LOVE-LETTER-FOR-
YOU.HTM", to the Windows System directory. This file contains
the worm, and it will be sent using mIRC whenever the user joins
an IRC channel.

Then the worm will use Outlook to mass mail itself to everyone in
each address book. The message that it sends will be as follows: