Re: [TCLUG:17269] solaris annoyances

Welcome to the world of *NOT* Linux.

It is a cross between the terminal and the program.  It the bad old days, the keys on the "Terminal"  (yes
that is terminal, as VT 100 ) were limited to ascii.  Now how did you do have all of these keys if you can
only do ascii ?  Well you map some keys to MULTIPLE characters.  So your arrow key is mapped to ESCD... hummm
or is that right ? let me dig up my AT&T terminal reference manual...  Okay I found it, my "AT&T Pocket
Reference Guide Dataspeed 4425 Display Terminal" It says the sequence sent is "ESC[A" ... "ESC[C". (Okay so
it also says a vt52 is ESC A ... ESC D )  So what happens, is this older version of Vi doesn't quite
understand what a "up arrow" is, and it gets confused, and it acts on the key sequences sent as keys typed in
rather than as a arrow key pressed.

Any ways.  How do you fix it ?  Well...  I am not sure.  You have to make sure your terminal type is
correct.  And use a recent version of VI.  I would think vim would handle it correctly.

I will give it a hack on my sun to see what I can come up with.

==>brian.