Re: [TCLUG:17303] FreeBSD

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Eric F Crist wrote:

> FreeBSD, I've heard is a much more secure OS with many, many, packages
> included

Security is a state of mind.  I've debated this with numerous *BSD people
and have come down to the conclusions that they are really just sick of
redhat installing so much useless crap.  Or that they think that bsders
RTFM. ;)  Debian (yeah, here comes my pitch) doesn't install much on a
base install.  Many services are by packages that will turn themselves on
after you install them.  You don't need to have telnet, you dont need to
install anything you dont really darned want running in debian.

> Debian, I'm understanding is a very simplistic OS to upgrade (one command for

You've never tried dselect then ;)  dselect is confusing but one of the
most amazing and actually useable (beyond add/remove) pakage managers in
the way of resolving dependency conflicts.  And, with apt... apt orders
and installs packages perfectly.  Gone are they days of old where you hit
dpkg a few times to resolve out the package ordering problems. :)

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
http://www.ringworld.org/  finger:dieman@destiny.ringworld.org

Wait. Watch. Wonder.
	-J

Besides, where could any governmental logic have come from, anyway, when
people lived in the condition known as freedom -- than is, like beasts,
monkeys, cattle?
	-Yevgeny Zamyatin, We p.15