Re: [TCLUG:17303] FreeBSD

Not feasable to just replace the packages.  I want to start from scrap,
becuase, as I've said before, that I'm still a newbie and I need to have
something that's going to be secure from the start.

I've been debating between FreeBSD and Debian.

FreeBSD, I've heard is a much more secure OS with many, many, packages included
on the installation CD-ROMs.

Debian, I'm understanding is a very simplistic OS to upgrade (one command for
ALL upgradable packages.)  Debian is also a better OS for server side apps.

I don't yet know all the possible security holes and I need to start paying
attention to what ports and programs are secure.  One major problem is that I'm
at a static location on the internet.  I have a dynamic IP, but I have a static
web address (ardent-hacker.net).

Oh well, I'm thinking I'm going to go with FreeBSD and start from scratch and
do some learning.

Eric F Crist
aka Slinky

PS:  Yes people, I WILL RTFM!