Re: [TCLUG:17351] pgsql

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:15:40 -0500
> From: Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@veldy.net>
> To: tclug-list@mn-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG:17351] pgsql
>

> > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> > >
> > > it should then initialise the stuff as the first time.
> >
> > Cheater! :)  Use the source, luke (its more recent) :)
> >

> There is no room for the indiscriminate "use of source" on a RedHat system.
> They have made it inconvenient to have a mixed package/source system.  Use
> Slackware or Debian for that - or use RPMS  - IMHO.
   ^^^^ Yep!  that's me!

The RPM's just provide the base installation in my mind.  Everything is
available as source in the long run, and authours/producers that force
people to use RPM format data should be taught a lesson about marketing.

Indiscriminate use of source code isnt a good idea on redhat, unless you
intend on eliminating the usefulness of the package manager (or just dont
care about it).  Personally, I dont like RPM, but I'm "raised" on slackware.
:)

For those who like to use source, and still want to keep the RPM
compatibility, search on freshmeat for installwatch.  It creates datafiles
from the install procedure, and further offers a utility to convert that
piece of data into an RPM database entry which can be popped into the RPM
database in case another program needs something in something you built
yourself.

Down with running old versions of software just because you think you have
to keep RPM up and running :)

-David