Re: [TCLUG:17357] XFree86 and Hercules monochrome

On Mon, 8 May 2000, David S. Cargo wrote:

> That's why I'm asking what the latest version of X that supports the
> Hercules monochrome card.  The XFree86 site doesn't facilitate searching
> by card for what card was supported when.
>
> I'm hoping somebody on this list knows, because the documentation currently
> available at the site doesn't seem to easily answer the question.

the latest version of 3.x does for certain, in the XF86_Mono server.  Dont
ask me how to set it up; that was years ago that I used a 386 (yes, a 386)
as a graphical sys stat display for several machines at once.

Given you have enough ram, X is quite useable on a 386.  Just dont expect
navigator 6 to run okay, and you're fine.  Especially if you use a
monochrome server (=less to move onscreen).

Btw, that 386 running the log display was also diskless (well, aside from a
DR-DOS bootdisk with loadlin and kernel on it) :)

-David