Re: [TCLUG:17297] More Love Bug

>insights than I could ever provide.  However, I will say that I think
>people should switch away from Outlook if at all possible, and that I've
>heard that Pegasus Mail [http://www.pegasus.usa.com/] could be a good
>freeware replacement.  Does anyone have experience with that piece of
>software?

I've tried using Pegasus Mail; and while it has some nice features (mailing
list management, PGP, mail filtering); I eventually went back to Eudora here
at work, because pmail doesn't do a couple of things I need:

1. hotkeys -- pmail is worse than Eudora. the lack of a delete hotkey alone
made me switch back.
2. attachment decoding -- very cumbersome. if someone sends me a binary
attachment (common part of the job around here); Eudora can automatically
decode it and give me a link to launch it with (but since it's circa-1996
Eudora, it isn't subject to quite the same scripting vunerabilities as
Outlook). Pmail can't do that (AFAIK).
        pmail also doesn't deal well with MIME text attachments; I couldn't
figure out how to display them inline.

in short; pmail *works*, provided you don't use it very hard. there are some
real usability problems for people like us, tho. :)

Agent (www.forteinc.com) kicks the crap out of every other mailer (Windows
or not) that I've ever seen. it's fast, usable, stable, and there are
hotkeys for most things.
        I keep meaning to write to them and encourage them to make a Linux
version.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091