RE: [TCLUG:17269] solaris annoyances

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Luke Francl wrote:

> Still, I miss my Linux...Some Unices need to wake up and move into the
> mid-80's...

Watch it there, Luke. You've got a few crufty UNIX-types here who might
take offense at that ;)

I could make the same argument for windows -- I can't recall how many
times Linux/UNIX has been chastised for not being "modern", and still
being "tied to the CLI", and for being essentially a throwback to the
seventies. I think the more non-linux UNIXes that you try, the more you'll
find out how non-UNIX-like linux really is. You can chide it for not being
"with the times" for not implementing your favorite keyboard shortcuts
(and believe you me, there are some  who are _more_ comfortable with hjkl
than they are with arrow keys), or you can just sigh, decide to be a UNIX
person instead of just a Linux person, learn hjkl and move on.

The road you're talking about going down leads to PICO as the default
editor instead of vi. *shudder* ;)

~Dan D.
-- Lack of planning on your part doesn't consitute an emergency
-- on my part.

++ Daniel M. Debertin
++ Senior Systems Administrator
++ Bitstream Underground, Inc.