Re: [TCLUG:17673] LBA mode was: Re: [TCLUG:17648] Moving the install & Linuxfdisk 20gb IDE drive h*ll

>Large disk howto. Go read. ;)

from:
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html
"If the disk is a SCSI disk, then this sector number goes directly into the
SCSI command and is
understood by the disk. If the disk is an IDE disk using LBA, then precisely
the same holds. But if the disk is old, RLL or
MFM or IDE from before the LBA times, then the disk hardware expects a
triple (cylinder,head,sector) to designate the
desired spot on the disk. "

I stand corrected. :)

but:
a. why did I have problems mounting an LBA-mode disk that one time?
b. what's the advantage of LBA mode for Linux (except at boot time)?
        I have a disk on my system at home, that I can access either way
(it's FAT-32 ez-drive formatted.. I've tried mounting it in all three modes
[LBA, large, normal], and Linux can always use it, while Win95 never can
[since the reinstall...]) I should try mounting it all 3 ways, and run
bonnie on it each way, to see if there's a difference.
        since linux doesn't use the BIOS, tho, it shouldn't matter, should it?

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091