Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

----- Original Message -----
From: Luke Francl <fran0382@tc.umn.edu>
To: <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Gabe Turner wrote:
>
> > If you released your code under the BSD license, you'd know that
> > people could make your code proprietary, so how would that make it
> > against your will? Personally, I like the BSD license.  I thnk I'd be
> > pretty proud of myself if some huge company decided to use
> > "little-ol-me's" code in their project.. But that's just me :)
>
> I'd be pleased too...but I'd be very *unhappy* knowing that their changes
> weren't being incorporated back into the main project. Look at the way Sun
> just ripped off BSD. That can't happen with GPL or LGPL.

Sun didn't rip off BSD - it was there for the taking.  I don't see too many
BSDers complaining about it either.  There are plenty of other vendors using
BSD code, some commercial.  SCO for instance.  Linux was using it in there
networking code.  I think for the most part it has been replaced by the time
the 2.2 kernels were released.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com