Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

BSD has its place.  The argument against commerical innovation under the GPL
or LGPL is a real one.  BSD is much less restrictive.  However, if it wasn't
for GPL - there might not be a free Linux today.   Follow that up with the
fact that there are three major free BSD systems out there and none are in
danger of dying -- and FreeBSD is growing very quickly under the BSD
license.

There is nothing wrong with releasing your code under the BSD license so
that others can use it commercially.  They just might hire you after all.
If you release it under GPL - you certainly won't be hired to use your code
commercially (typically not opensource) - you will have to rewrite it -
probably somebody else will get that job.  If I go through the effort of
releasing source code publically, I would be honored to know it is good
enough to be used commercially.  If you were worried about making money from
it, why would you use BSD or GPL?

Just trying to get pros and cons of each - and I have pretty much supplied
some pros for BSD licensing.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net