RE: [TCLUG:18038] Where is Cygnus now? (was Re: [TCLUG:17968] Debian error)

> Sure it is.  But that doesn't mean that all future compiler releases will
> be.  But really, my greater point was that Redhat is now in a position to
> push Linux where they want it to go instead of where the userbase at large
> want it to go.  I don't like that they were able to "buy" the influence over
> future linux developement.  I hate RedHat.

While they wouldn't be the first corporation to unwittingly slaughter their
source of golden eggs, I'm optimistic that Red Hat won't soon forget that they
got where they were by following what the masses wanted, not by dictating it.
And I'm certain they won't be closing off any of the source if they can help
it -- we've all already seen plenty of examples of the uproar that follows even
the *appearance* of such a move.  They suffer enough bashing as it is, largely
(as far as I can tell) only because they're the most visible success of the
Linux movement...  Smells like Nirvana Syndrome to me.

At any rate, although (AFAIK) there's still been no major courtroom test, the
various Open Source licences guarantee that Linux will not become "closed
source" any time in the near future.  Unless Red Hat has the phenomenal
resources and stupidity to write their own incompatible Linux clone and
copyright it, there isn't even a door to close.

Comparing Red Hat to MS strikes me as facile and ill-thought out.  Microsoft has
actively stifled competition, bought out other companies simply to eliminate
their products, and been a thorn even to their so-called allies.  Red Hat, while
not exactly lily-white, can hardly be accused of strangling innovation or
stifling competition -- in their tenure so far, the number of commercial
distributions has exploded, many of them even taking RH's distribution as a
starting point.  Can you see MS allowing somebody else to do that with Windows,
*ever*?

--
Eric Hillman
UNIX Sysadmin/Webmaster