fetchmail envlopes error and quit

I've fetchmail running on a server to download mail from a pop account.
Users were noticing that e-mail would come often come it big sets. A
little investigating showed that although fetchmail should be running
whenever the server was dialed to the internet (fetchmail -d 300) it often
wasn't. I ran fetchmail -v and often get the following output below:
Sometimes it works fine, but often it does this and if in daemon mode,
quits. Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix this? The server is redhat
6.0. I tried upgrading frmo fetchmail-5.0 to 5.1 but that didn't change
anything. I don't know what the server is at the other end just that they
don't do tech support for linux. What are recognition modes?

Thanks,

Ben

fetchmail: POP3< +OK QPOP (version 2.53) at www5 starting.
fetchmail: POP3> USER hearing
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required for hearing.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unable to process From lines (envelopes), change
recognition modes.
fetchmail: Unable to process From lines (envelopes), change recognition
modes.
fetchmail: Authorization failure on hearing@pop.slip.net
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: authorization error while fetching from pop.slip.net
fetchmail: Query status=3
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3