clobbered partition table

During the installfest, I managed to use Partition Magic 2.02 to clobber
my partition table on my combined Windows 95 / Linux disk.

Looking at possible solutions, I checked with Ontrack; they are sure
they could fix the problem, but it would cost.  (It might be worth it,
but I'm looking at alternatives.)  I also called the Geek Squad, and they
said they could recover data, but not necessarily Windows itself.

Linux has two programs that might allow a person to try to do this
himself:  gpart and fixdisktable.

My question is, have you ever had this problem?  Did you try to cover
it yourself?  What were the results?

dsc