RE: [TCLUG:18170] why disconnects?

On a more technical side, if your housemate is physically between you and the
demarc within the house, odds are, his computer will win any phone war.  Since
he will be closer to the demark, he will get a much improved quality
connection.  When he's on the line, and you try to dial with your computer,
your connection is interrupting AFTER his connection, however, when his
computer tries to dial, he's interrupting BEFORE your computer.  If you don't
want to be civil, and you want to win this war, take apart a phone jack, and
touch the red and green wires together.  This will essentially put signals into
a loop and should interrupt the call.

l8r

Eric F Crist
ecrist@ardent-hacker.net

On Thu, 25 May 2000, you wrote: > On Thu, 25 May 2000, Eric Hillman wrote: >
> > > On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:33:20PM -0500, Ben Luey > > >
(lueyb@gridley.ACNS.Carleton.edu) wrote: > > > > My housemate and I share a
modem line between our computers. If he leaves > > > > his computer connected
and goes to sleep and I try to connect with my > > > > computer, I can't dial
in and his connection stays up. There is no way to > > > > kill his connection
short of going into his room and disconnecting his > > > > computer. Yet if I'm
online and he tries to dial in, my connection dies > > > > and before it
realizes it and redials, his computer has already dialed and > > > > connected.
This hardly sems fair. Is there an option in ppp for not > > > > hanging up on
line noise and just waiting it out? What causes a connection > > > > to
disconnect? > > > >