Re: [TCLUG:18291] Need a cheap notebook (OT :)

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:31:04PM -0500, Bill Layer wrote:
> Well, I gave $35 for the Compaq, so you can see why I am so bummed
> that it died. It did everything I needed it to do.. I have a Zeos
> 486-100 machine as well, but it only has 4MB of ram and hence is
> pretty useless for Linux, or Win32. I tried installing Slackware,
> and it freezes halfway through loading the ramdisk :/

What stops you from buying a little more RAM?  You CAN purchase RAM
for it, you know.  It's probably a non-parity, non-EDO simm, so you
may only have to purchase ONE simm to get it running.  Consider a
stick of 16 or 32MB.  If you absolutely MUST use it as is, there is a
low-memory installation for Debian that you could try.

> I guess I would give $200 for a nice 486, $400 for a low-end
> pentium... I would probably consider buying a nice new Dell machine,
> but I am planning to take this thing to Africa with me, and
> loss/theft is a very good possibility. Probably a bad time to invest
> in a nice unit :) I have lots of trade stuff too, computer and
> otherwise.

Surf eBay a bit, and perhaps some of the warehouses linked to
Pricewatch.com.  Man.  I surfing pricewatch.com right now for
refurbished notebooks and there's a TON of 486/low-pent class machines for
under $400.  Happy shopping!

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie