Re: [TCLUG:124] Batch conversions xls->ps, doc->ps

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Bob Tanner wrote:

> Any programs/scripts out there that will run under linux that will
> allow batch conversion of Excel (xls) and Word (doc) files to
> postscript?

If no one gives you a better answer, try this. I just set myself up to
do this in another MS app.

In Windows, install a Postscript printer. So far as I know, you can do
this virtually at random (I did), but if you want color be sure to
pick a color one. When you install it, specify that it will connect
directly to your computer (not a network printer). When it asks you
for a port, pick 'File' out of the list. Boom: you've just created
your Postscript converter.

Whenever you print to this printer, it will ask you for a file
name. In Win95, it may have a default .PRN extension, but you can
change it to .ps. It will then be ready to go in Linux!

I have personally tested this from Windows NT 4.0 and it worked very
well. I was able to open the document up in ghostview with no
problems, and it printed perfectly.

Have fun!

Fred W. Noltie Jr.
Criterion Consulting