Re: [TCLUG:82] Meeting Minutes

> MS giant.  It seems to me that a big problem free/open software is most
> non-Unix people think if it is free it must work like junk.  So by using
> tclug as a platform to promote Linux systems and solutions by our hands on
> experiences, we can disprove all those Windows bigots.

When DOS was first getting off the ground, the simplest
user interfaces were very acceptable, as was the command
line interface.  However, Microsoft, despite how much we
like to say otherwise, has set a standard of quality in
appearance and features their software presents to the
user that (so far) has been unmatched in the Linux
community.  We are talking about people who are used
to products like Microsoft Office.  Compare the look
and feel of that product to Applixware.  Yes, Applixware
works well.  But, it does not have that polished finish
that gives the user confidence.  Nobody at the office is
using Applixware.  StarOffice is often unpredictable and
can freeze when reading a corrupted file or lock up when
overrun with mouse events.  As for the other available
Linux apps, while they do what their authors claim, they
certainly lack the polished feel according to the standard
that Microsoft has set.  This is the same experience
people in the Microsoft have had in the past with free-
and shareware.  However, in recent years, freeware and
shareware has risen dramatically in quality as the tools
used to produce that software have improved.  Therefore,
on all fronts in the Microsoft world, the standard for
features and look/feel are quite high.  Why should the
Microsoft users accept less?

This is not important to most people who are willing to
forsake the Microsoft world in favor of Linux.  But, for
the average computer user that makes up the bulk of the
Microsoft market, the issues in the previous paragraph
are paramount.  These people learned how to use Microsoft
OS and software.  They did not (nor care to) learn how to
use a computer.  That is what we are up against.

I own and use Applixware and think it is fine.  Also, my
goal is to be able to remove Win95 from my system.  The
only way that will be possible is when I have written
Linux versions of the music software I currently use.
I am working on that.  So, I am not anti-Linux.  However,
the scenerio of Microsoft vs Linux for superiority, user
share, etc has played itself out over and over.  My first
encounter with that scene was with the Z100 computer vs
the PC.  There was the Amiga vs the rest of the world.
There was the Mac vs the rest of the world.  In each
case "the rest of the world" was really the PC running
DOS or Windows.  The Windows market produced the apps that
real people who couldn't care less about the underlying
computer needed to use on a daily basis.  It is happening
again.  However, this time there MAY be a difference.
If enough people in the Linux community realize this and
are willing to do something about it (e.g. produce the
apps that real people need and present in them in a way
that real people want them to be presented), Linux may
have a real chance.

It takes an enormous amount of work to get that last
part of the project done: the part the customer sees.
This includes a smooth working and good looking GUI
and decent documentation.  A smooth, effortless install
is also important.  Fortunately, we now have RPM.  Most
of us developers consider the project done when the
software or hardware does what it is supposed to.  That
isn't good enough when considering the general public.
Microsoft has raised the standard beyond what many
hobby-oriented developers are willing to produce in
their spare time.  How many of us want to spend all
day working in computers and then grind away at an
app at home, taking it all the way to a finished
product according to Microsoft's standards only to
give it away?  I think all the foregoing constitute
the realities that we have to grapple with if Linux
is going to go as far as we would like it to in the
general marketplace.

Now, if we are talking about promoting Linux as a
good, solid server, then we have limited the number
of people who will be dealing directly with Linux and
all the issues I mentioned are moot.  So, maybe it
would be worthwhile to define who we are interested
in promoting Linux to.

Tony