Re: [TCLUG:407] Replacing netware with linux

Quoting Joseph A. Heil (heilja@dbsource.com):
> Quoting Bob Tanner (tanner@real-time.com):
> > I have a client who is thinking of replacing their Netware fileserver
> > with a linux box running samba. Please read the below question and let
> > me know if there is a linux solution. Thanks.
> >

> > >Does linux have anything like the "salvage" function of Netware?  One of the
> > >things about Netware that saves us from time to time is that it keeps past
> > >versions of files after they have been updated....so that if we delete a
> > >file by mistake or save a bad version, I am able to dig out other recent
> > >versions from which to choose.
>
> Hmm, have they heard of version control and backups?

Ok, get out of the UNIX mode here you dorks. They do not have shell
access to this linux box. They are just sharing the data via samba.

So, they now have a S: drive on their Windows95 machine. So, how is
this version control going to work again?

Yes, there is tape backups, but salvage is quick, tape is slow.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700