Re: [TCLUG:522] Newbie alert!

Ben Kochie wrote:

> REINSTALL!!?!?!?!? yick! that's one of the main reasons i don't use win95,
> becuase i don't have to reinstall linux every couple weeks or so..
>
> my suggestion to re-partiton is this.. borrow a drive from a friend, boot to a
> floppy, mount up both drives, CPIO all your data over, re-partition the drive,
> and the CPIO everything back :)

That'll do it too, but it still sounds like more hassle than a
re-install.  You have to find a friend with a spare drive, go to your
friend's house, take out his drive if it's still in his computer, run
back to your house, hook it up, maybe format it, do the CPIO,
repartition, etc., take the drive out, run it back to your friend's
house, and possibly re-install it there, and run back home to play with
your computer.  In the time it takes you to do all that running around
and stuff you could have re-installed 2 or 3 times.  Not that you'd want
to.  :-)

Besides, re-installing Linux isn't nearly as big a hassle as
re-installing Win95, I think.  As long as you have your custom config
files and stuff on floppy or whatever, it's a snap.