Lost network card

Greet the sun all;

  I have a strange problem occuring with my Linux box at work.  Yesterday,
I lost access to my ethernet card.  It is a regular 3COM 3C509B card.  I
checked using 3COM's diagnostic software and the card is talking to the
network fine.  On startup however, three lines have shown up in the boot
process:

1. grep: /lib/modules/2.0.*/.rhkmvtag: no such file or directory
2. find module dependencies....can't open /lib/modules/2.0.34/modules.dep

and about six lines down:

3. delaying eth0 initialization

Now, my actual directory structure is /lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6 and there is
a modules.dep file located there.  By the way, this is a RH5.1 setup.  Is
there a troubleshooting FAQ somewhere that I can walk through to figure out
why my network connection went south?

Perry Hoekstra