Re: [TCLUG:837] Lost network card

>   I have a strange problem occuring with my Linux box at work.  Yesterday,
> I lost access to my ethernet card.  It is a regular 3COM 3C509B card.  I
> checked using 3COM's diagnostic software and the card is talking to the
> network fine.  On startup however, three lines have shown up in the boot
> process:
>
> 1. grep: /lib/modules/2.0.*/.rhkmvtag: no such file or directory
> 2. find module dependencies....can't open /lib/modules/2.0.34/modules.dep
>
> and about six lines down:
>
> 3. delaying eth0 initialization

Hmm.. I would definitely recommend recompiling the kernel and putting
the network card driver in it..  (unless, of course, the card is in PnP
mode.. blech..)

> Now, my actual directory structure is /lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6 and there is
> a modules.dep file located there.  By the way, this is a RH5.1 setup.  Is
> there a troubleshooting FAQ somewhere that I can walk through to figure out
> why my network connection went south?

Heh..  my solution would probably be to make a symlink --
/lib/modules/2.0.34 -> /lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6

other than that, have you been doing anything to the system lately
(upgrading to 2.1.x kernel?  different version of modutils?)

Mike Hicks

PS - I just upgraded to the 2.1.114 and 2.1.115 kernels, which work
great (although I'm not using the *correct* software packages for it..
should fix that soon...)  They finally fixed the sound problems
(probably a while ago...  but 2.1.105 didn't work right for me..)