Monitors

sony is not the greatist monitor company.. trinitron tubes are good for TV
quality, but are not that great for computer work.. cylindrical tubes have
glare problems, and the horizontal wire just bugs the crap out of me.. i much
prefer FST (flat square technology) tubes, used in hitachi, Mag, princeton, and
others.  the trinitron specs are also misleading.. .22 aperature grill is
similar granularity to .25 dot pitch (normal tubes, and FST)  high frequencies,
and boasted res isn't worthwhile unless it's a sharp image.  i have a cheepo
.26 dot pitch, 17" Mag DJ-700 (i used to have a better princeton.. but it was a
flawed design in power controller.. didn't want another)  i run X at 1152x864 @
70hz .. the monitor is fairly sharp, and has a very good overall picture.
(another advantage of FST)  another thing people don't think about is the cable
that they use to connect the monitor to the PC.  most cheep monitors (like my
mag) use a non-removeable 15pin DSUB connector.. this is the worst.  the cable
is not well shielded, and starts to produce visual wavyness, and other
mal-formations at higher frequencies. (1280x1024+)  what is a much better way
to go is to make sure the monitor has a 5 connector BNC option, the BNC cable
will probably cost 40$ or more.. but it can handle much more video bandwidth,
i changed from a Dsub to a BNC on my old Princeton, and it noticeably improved
the quality of the picture, and i was able to crank the frequency up 5hz
vertically.  it's also nice that some BNC/DSUB monitors allow for easy
switching between the two, allowing for a built in monitor switch to change
between two computers.. :)

On 09-Aug-98 Jeffrey R Haskovec wrote:
>> Sony is definately a great monitor manufacturer, I have the Multiscan 100sf
>> (Basically, all Sony Trinitron 15" are the same except for the buttons :),
>> but
>> if you want a 17" or better, I would reccomend Iiyama, as they have
>> Trinitron
>> tubes with higher supported resolution rates than the equivalent Sony for
>> the
>> same or lower price.  The MT-9017E, basically a Trinitron (Diamondtron -
>> anyone
>> know the difference?) can do 1600x1200@72Hz and 1280x1024@85Hz.  I saw it on
>> pricewatch today for $468.  The 21" monitors are available for less than
>> $1000.
>>
>> IMHO, the monitor & video card are probably the most important part of any
>> system, probably more so for anyone who actually uses one for any
>> substantial
>> period of time.
>>
>> -Chris
>
> Diamondtron is supposed to be like the same type of technology as
> trinitron, but I think Hitachi makes the tubes instead of Sony, I think
> Trintron is probably a trademarked name.
>
> Jeff

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)