Re: [TCLUG:873] kernel compile problem [update]

Tim,

This doesn't really help you on an immediate basis, but it's good advice.

You're better off not overwriting your old kernel (as you now realize), as
you did when you put the new on in /boot/vmlinuz. Thing to do is move the
old one to /boot/OldStinky33, and put the new one in something like
/boot/ShinyNew35. Then, poke your /etc/lilo.cong file to look something
like this:

image = /ShinyNew35
root = /dev/sda2
label = HopeItWorks

image = /boot/OldStinky33
root = /dev/sda2
label = Old

On boot, at the LILO prompt, <tab> will give you a list of all the
kernels you can boot (in this case 'Old' and 'HopeItWorks'. But then, if
you're already dual-booting, I guess you know this. But then, if you can't
boot your old kernel, maybe you don't. I dunno. :) Hope this helps.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/