Re: [TCLUG:873] kernel compile problem [update]

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> This doesn't really help you on an immediate basis, but it's good advice.
>
> You're better off not overwriting your old kernel (as you now realize), as
> you did when you put the new on in /boot/vmlinuz. Thing to do is move the
> old one to /boot/OldStinky33, and put the new one in something like
> /boot/ShinyNew35. Then, poke your /etc/lilo.cong file to look something
> like this:

Thanks for rubbing it in! :-) Actually, I do know better; I was being
lazy. I figured (wrongly) that I probably didn't need to mess with it
since I wasn't compiling a *new* kernel. Oh well, I was obviously
mistaken. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you, however. :-)

I've got if narrowed down to a problem with modprobe or something related
to it. I'm reading the stuff in /usr/src/linux/Documentation, but I
haven't received any major insights yet.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your