Re: [TCLUG:1152] cable modems from mediaone

Cable modems assign IP addresses dynamically 99% of the time, so this
would not be a good alternative to DSL. Cable also bogs down majorly as
your neighbors start using it; there is a very limited pipe. If you are
the only person on your block using it, it is fast, but once many people
start using it, it would definetly not be the way to run a server.

DSL, on the other hand, will run pretty good as long as the ISP has a
decent ratio on the lines coming in. I would look at getting the line from
USWest (obviously), but then getting the internet access through a
different provider such as Vector (www.visi.com) or Sihope
(www.sihope.com). These will give you exactly what you want for a fair
price, where USWest would never design a custom pricing plan or anything
"hard" like that for one individual.

P.S.  -- DSL will run around $20/mo extra for the phone line, and
$30+/mo for the internet access. But this is really the way to go, I would
_never_ trust a commercial server on a cablemodem. And the $400
installation fee is for the router... you just pay a rental fee for the
router on the cable network.

Just my $.02..

-Nate Carlson
 The Infinite Loop