The Further Adventures of Chico

My laptop (chico, a Toshiba T3400CT) is having more problems as I attempt
to install RedHat 5.1.

I ended up toasting the hard drive and needing to start from scratch. This
means where Windows 95 allowed me onto the network, that is no longer the
case. I also discovered that the 16 MB RAM module caused problems. (Tried
to run loadlin.exe from the DOS prompt and it hung -- until I pulled the
16MB RAM module.)

Current situation: I have a 30MB partition with DOS 6.22 installed, and
another of around 220 MB. I have copied all the necessary files needed
from the RedHat CD to the 30MB partition with the intention of doing a
hard disk install. (At least I think I have all that I need.) I cannot
seem to boot from the RedHat boot disk (I get a BOOT FAILURE message.)
When I run /DOSUTILS/AUTOBOOT.BAT (runs LOADLIN.EXE with vmlinuz and
initrd.img arguments) things appear to go okay but after these lines
appear on the screen...

Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2

...the system hangs.

I can boot DOS from the floppy, just not Linux.

How can I either get the Linux boot disk to boot, or successfully run
LOADLIN.EXE to achieve the same results?

TIA

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.