Re: Re: [TCLUG:1345] Turn off my computer?

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jeffrey R Haskovec wrote:

> You can use hdparm to spin down your harddrives similar to what Win95
> does, for instance, my hard drives spin down after 30 Minutes of
> inactivity, this seems to work quite well.

Recent discussion suggests to me that that's a bad idea. Also, it only
works on IDE drives -- I tried this at home where I have only SCSI disks,
and 'hdparm' returned the error that it won't work because of the SCSI.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/