[TCLUG:1402] Re: shutdown wierd (was turn off computer?)

I had a problem with shutdown. It seems to make a /etc/nologin file
while it goes about it's business and then removes it when it is done.
Well, it forgot to remove the file. Looking in the manual page for
'login' you will see the existence of a /etc/nologin file disallows
logins from non-root users and puts the contents of the file on the
screen when they try. I usually telnet to this box (it has no monitor)
so this was kind of a PITA. Using shutdown again did not help me, but
clearing the /etc/nologin file did.

Happy day to you all,

Troy

>>> Ben Kochie <ben@nerp.net> 09/25 11:45 PM >>>
that's odd.. it may have shoved itself into single usermode.. or
something

On 24-Sep-98 Carlos Sabo wrote:
> I have a shutdown story:  Last week I killed shutdown with kill
instead of
> "shutdown -c".  Then I resumed the shutdown and when the box came
up I
> couldn't log in with anyone except for root.  I rebooted the box
again,
> played with init, and looked at /etc/inittab.  I couldn't figure
out what
> was wrong.  Finaly I did shutdown with a wait and then from
another
> console "shutdown -c", I rebooted the box and all was well.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)