RE: [TCLUG:1450] printer server (cont.)

> Here are the important parts of /etc/printcap from the print server:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 1200x1200 letter {} PostScript Default {}
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

This looks ok.

> Here's the /etc/printcap from the workstation on my desk:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 1200x1200 letter {} PostScript Default 1
> hp4000:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=10.22.100.75:\
>         :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         ::\
>         ::\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000/filter:

The :rp line is wrong.  Change it to just be :rp=lp:\
All it is asking for is the remote print server's printer name.

Also get rid of the two empty ::\ lines.  I don't know how they got there,
but they aren't helping any.  Printtool does not need them.

If at all possible, try to set up your boxes so the remote printer and the
local printer have the same name, either both hp4000 or both lp.

Good luck.  It sounds like you're close.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator