Re: [TCLUG:1420] how do I make a beep? (fwd)

The problem with a visual beep is that if I have a screen saver (or DPMS)
I won't notice it, so  I'm looking for an audio beep. I don't want to use
/dev/sound because then I'll get this ugly sound when I'm listening to  a
cd and I'll have to have the speakers on to hear it. When I get new mail,
either wmmail makes a nice little beep that comes through the pc speaker.
Is there some way to mimic this?