Re: [TCLUG:2177] Window manager/environment rec.

> 1. Given my hardware situation (486DX-33, 16 MB RAM, 512k video RAM w/
> older 14" monitors that limit me to 640x480 resolution), what window
> manager/desktop environment would you recommend that would be lean in
> terms of RAM and be easiest for non-Linux types to use. Currently I'm
> leaning toward IceWM, but I'd like to get your thoughts on the matter.

I hope that you have tested this on one of your 486 systems.  In my
experience, 256 colors isn't very fun when you run Netscape (and it's
especially un-fun when you have a WM that uses 100 of those colors at
startup.. Leaving what's left for Netscape -- not enough, IMO)

You say IceWM is fast, so that sounds good (I've personally never tried
it.. Or it didn't compile..  One of the two :-)  Just try to have a
configuration that is as lean as possible color-wise (I don't think
WindowMaker or AfterStep fall into that category...)

There's a nifty little utility called 'xcmap' that will display your
color palette for you.  Start up Netscape and watch them all get
allocated..
--
                    --== Mike Hicks ==--
http://umn.edu/~hick0088	mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu