Re: [TCLUG:2273] Install Fest Apps: email, news, addressbook, word processor

Hi:

StarOffice 4.0 was problematic for me.  There was
the mouse problem in which StarOffice would freeze
with any appreciable mouse cursor movement using
the PS/2 compatible mouse.  Though there were
some work-arounds for this problem, none seemed
totally effective on my system.  Also, StarOffice
would crash when it encountered items in a Word
document that it could not understand.  There
were, as I recall, issues with regard to obtaining
and installing the correct libraries for Star Office.
I went through all that and got that part functioning,
but I think this is one area in Linux in general that
could use some coordination.  I don't see that issue
as being directly a fault of Star Office.  Maybe
StarOffice 5 is improved.

Because of the problems I had with StarOffice 4,
I purchased ApplixWare 4.3.7.  This package was
very easy to install and has worked consistently
well for me.  Its user interface does not look as
polished as that of Star Office, but for the tasks
I wanted to do, it has worked without problems.
There is a new version of ApplixWare available now
(4.4.1, I think), but I have not upgraded yet.

I would have to dig back through notes I took when
working through the problems I had with StarOffice 4
to give specific details of the issues and the
work-arounds, but suffice it to say that I never
got StarOffice to work as solidly as ApplixWare does.
Personally, I will forgo user interface appearance
for stability any day.

Tony