MySQL install woes

I am trying to install MySQL on my Redhat 5.1 box. (Tried all day
yesterday.) First, I just used the latest RPM, and it seemed to install
fine (mysqld was running at the end of the process), but I couldn;t run
the tool to set up the initial database.

The manual said that I should try compiling a binary, but when I did this,
it suggested installing egcs. I attempted this using an RPM and it listed
numerous conflicts with the previous egcs (???). I also tried compiling
egcs from source, but could not get the configure script to run
successfully:

Created "Makefile" in /usr/bin using "/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3a/config/mt-linux"
mkdir: cannot make directory `./gcc': File exists
*** /usr/src/egcs-1.0.3a/configure: could not make /usr/bin/gcc

Aaargh! Has anyone installed MySQLon Redhat 5.1 and can help walk me
through this?

Thanks.

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.