samba not listed in network neighborhood

I got a larger hard drive to swap with the current one. Because 'cp -R'
didn't copy symbolic links as links, I connected new drive as hdb,
mounted it, partitioned it, and tared each directory under / and
untaried it to the right new partition (I changed the partition setup),
edited /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo for new hdax setup, put new drive in as
hda, booted to disk and ran lilo and then rebooted -- everything worked
fine, except:

(any ideas on a better to go about hard drive swap?)

Now my samba server isn't listed under network neighborhood on any of my
win95 clients (all computers on network are win95 except my Linux server).
I changed nothing! I can manually connect to "\\server\something" if I
type in the path, so I know the sharing is fine. I thought that maybe
Linux stopped being the browse master (even though it has OS LEVEL = 33
and other flags to make it be the browse master), so I turned off every
win95 machine (booted one to dos because it's cmos battery is dead) hoping
that this would give Linux samba browse master status (I know with wfwg
3.11, first computer up become browse master). No luck.  If Linux is the
browse master -- why doesn't it see itself?

(story: I mis targeted my swap drive in /etc/fstab and Linux would boot
normally, so I booted off the redhat rescue disk, but the only editor I
could run was vi, and I don't know how to save or exit in vi (no man in
disk boot), so I ended up using 'sed -e s/hdb/hda >file' to make the
necessary changes. I felt very resourceful. )

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

When I die, I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not the screaming,
yelling passengers in his car.   -- Unknown