Re: [TCLUG:2812] Enlightenment

Christopher Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Christopher Palmer wrote:
>
> > I've never sued Enlightenment, because I hear it is very big and slow, and
> > difficult to configure. But it looks nice.
>
> Actually, those are the reasons I've never *used* Enlightenment. The
> reason I've never *sued* Enlightenment is because the people who develop
> it have never done me any wrong...

Argh! Enlightenment misconceptions numbers one, two, and three.  You hit
all three biggies in one sentence.  Enlightenment version 13.3 was slow
and bloated.  Beginning with enlightenment v14 enlightnement is now very
fast and  very small.  Begninning with v15 (previews available daily by
CVS) enlightenment is very easy to configure with a GTK/Perl front end
to a BEAUTIFUL ipc engine which among other things handles all
configuration.  Plus, there's a command line wrapper for the IPC which
allows one to script one's window manager in a very cool fashion.

Enlightenment's big failing is in ease of install -- it's a total bear.
It requires 12 seaprate libraries and can really be picky about their
versions.  Raster's biggest mistake is shipping enlightenment with a
default theme that shows off many of it's really out there features.
When (though I'll admit I choose not to) you replace that with a more
ascetic theme (something along the lines of window maker in look) I'll
put it up against any feature rich wm in terms of speed (window maker,
fvwm, afterstep).

--
Ry4an Brase - http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~ry4an - 612-623-9946
'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if