Re: [TCLUG:2816] SuSE and DHCP, anyone?

Chris Schumann wrote:

> Now that I can run Linux without using a boot floppy (but still
> painfully), I'm going to need Internet access. I'd prefer not to use my
> modem because I have ADSL, and that requires DHCP.
>
> I have downloaded and read the DHCP MiniHOWTO, but I thought I'd ask the
> group if any of you have DHCP running on SuSE linux and what it took to
> get going. SuSE is still missing from many HOWTO pages.
>
> (And I'm THIS close to buying RedHat because of my contempt for the SuSE
> manual.

Chris, if you're in the twin cities I'm assuming you're using the RADSL
service as offered by US West.  If you were tricked into using USWest as
your ISP (they really strong arm people) might I suggest suggesting
moving to just about any other ISP.  Your line will still come from
USWest, but the IP will come from whomever is your ISP.

Now, while DHCP is fine tech for laptops and windows boxes, and linux
box deserves its own static IP.  And you can have one for little to no
money.  Most ISPs offering DSL service will give you one static IP for
free (I can recommend a few that do if yours does not).  If, indeed,
you're with USWest they'll charge you monthly (about $20) for five
(minimum order).

I switched over to an ISP for my DSL that gives me a static IP and using
IP Masq I've got all my boxes happily chatting away.  What's more I can
telnet/ssh/pop to my box from anywhere without the hassle of a DHCP
lease expiring.

--
Ry4an Brase - http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~ry4an - 612-623-9946
'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if