Re: [TCLUG:3260] rdist

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> First, I'd use rsync. Much more powerful the rdist. The README inside
> the rsync rpm is excellent. As well as the web site.

I'm checking out the web site now, and it does look like this will do what
I want.

However, I am having problems using any of the r* commands connecting into
my redhat 5.2 box. I am assuming the problems are on a level more basic
than the rdist command.

Since I can't use rlogin to get to my redhat box, I assume I won't be able
to use anything else.

rlogin localhost cogitates for a while and then says: "Connection refused"

I've gone through my /etc/hosts.equiv, /etc/services, and /etc/inetd.conf
files with the aid of a networking book, and I understand more than I did
the other day, but it's still not working.

/etc/hosts contains the word localhost on one line and the names of each
of my linux boxes on a line. .rhosts looks the same, though I've tried it
with and without the .rhosts file.

The exec, shell, and login lines in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf are
uncommented and as they appear in the book.

I am not logged in as root, and inetd is running. (In fact I rebooted
after un-commenting the lines in etc/inetd.conf and etc/services.)

Since rsync is an enhancement for rcp, I don't think your suggestions
solves my problem quite yet.

Has anyone setup the r* commands to work on RedHat 5.2? Any problems? What
did you do to make it work?

Thanks.

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.