Re: [TCLUG:3260] rdist

On 10 Jan, Richard Seymour wrote:
> rlogin localhost cogitates for a while and then says: "Connection refused"
>
> I've gone through my /etc/hosts.equiv, /etc/services, and /etc/inetd.conf
> files with the aid of a networking book, and I understand more than I did
> the other day, but it's still not working.

Make sure that login is in you inetd.conf, so you have a line like:
login	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rlogind
Also make sure that /usr/sbin/tcpd exists and that you have in.rlogind,
should be in /usr/sbin.

> /etc/hosts contains the word localhost on one line and the names of each
> of my linux boxes on a line. .rhosts looks the same, though I've tried it
> with and without the .rhosts file.

.rhosts should not look like /etc/hosts!  .rhosts tells which users can
connect from which machines without a password.  .rhosts should be in
the format
machine userid
If you don't put the userid behind the machine, then anyone from that
machine can connect without a password.  Likewise if you forget the
machine and just put the usename, anyone with that username, from
anywhere can connect.

> Has anyone setup the r* commands to work on RedHat 5.2? Any problems? What
> did you do to make it work?

I have them working on my machine.  In fact they should work out of the
box.  Do you have tcp_wrappers installed?

--
Jon Schewe
http://tcfreenet.org/~schewe