Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-CLIENTS:121] bugzilla

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 02:49:41PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting Dave Ahn (ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu):
> > I guess if it's there, I may use it.  But I've always been of the opinion
> > that bugzilla isn't very practical in terms of the size of the Netrek
> > code base and the number of active contributors.  Even with the recent
> > flurry of activity, there are less than half a dozen of us who are
> > really working with the server source.  And most of the time, we communicate
> > over IRC to expedite our work.  The last time this topic came up, we
> > agreed that using the existing TODO and PROJECT files in conjunction with
> > the VANILLA-L mailing list was more than sufficient for our needs.  Maybe
> > this has changed (or should).  But don't be surprised if the bugzilla site
> > ends up being unused after the novelty wears off...
>
> In a previous thread, there was a discussion about having bugzilla in place
> before going to freshmeat with the server. Having an offical bug-tracking site
> lends credibility to the server.

I guess credibility is good.  But I wonder how many people will submit,
"I can't connect to a server" as a bug... I'll be convinced of its usefulness
(in terms of real development for Netrek) once I see it.  It certainly doesn't
hurt to try.

> Since it is going to be setup for the server, I thought I would offer the
> services to the client developers.

I would suggest creating one for COW, the main Netrek client.  If you feel
like creating one for Paradise/TedTurner, I won't turn down the offer.  :)
You may also want to ask Steve Sheldon (N:1999 maintainer) and Matso (N:TNG).

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2