[VANILLA-L:992] Re: [VANILLA-L:990] Re: [VANILLA-L:982] Need a fix or prevention

At 12:28 AM 8/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Aug 5, 18:38, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
>[translated hex time to string:]
>Thu Aug  6 01:24:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)
>Thu Aug  6 01:26:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)
>Thu Aug  6 01:28:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)
>Thu Aug  6 01:30:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)
>Thu Aug  6 01:32:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)
>Thu Aug  6 01:34:25 1998: usock: updated by whitestar.advantest.com
(192.84.20.10)

>This is every two minutes...
>
>>Is this normal? What cause this, since all the other servers are not
>>doing it?
>
>As far as I know the server should update the metaserver _only_ when
>it's state has changed (with a minimum delay of two minutes).
>It seems this server is doing it as often as possible, probably also if
>unnecessary.
>
>>How can I stop it?
>
>I don't think the metaserver has blocking facilities yet for the UDP
>updates from the server (except that it ignores servers if they update
>too quickly -> might be a good starting point for writing some blocking
>code).

I have not checked yet but maybe in the .metaservers file a solicitation
time could be added so it could be changed from every 2 minutes to a larger
time interval.  That way the server owner could set it to what seemed
right.  With that in mind I would recommend that a default and minimum be
set at 5 minutes.

Clayton
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++