[VANILLA-L:1004] Re: Need a fix or prevention

Sigh.

It's a pity you guys who are complaining about this metaserver code that
I had designed weren't around to read and understand the design and the
numbers on which it is based.

I implore you to read the design information before you ask "can we
change the intervals."

http://surf.Germany.EU.net/toyland/netrek/metadev/contents.html

I've just checked.  The packet analysis is not present in that
documentation, I'll have a look for it in my mail archives, but I don't
hold much hope.  Do you have it handy, Frank or Nick?

Clayton Conrad wrote:
> I have not checked yet but maybe in the .metaservers file a
> solicitation time could be added so it could be changed from every 2
> minutes to a larger time interval.

Yes, this is _easily_ changed.

> With that in mind I would recommend that a default and minimum be
> set at 5 minutes.

No, that is not necessary.  The packet load of the default at two
minutes is really minimal compared to the old load.  If you think it is
a problem, take measurements using tcpdump or something.

The metaserver is providing important information to players, which is
why it exists.

Just a reminder; having the metaserver poll the servers costs about 8kb
of data per poll, and that's all inbound to the metaserver.  Having the
servers poll the metaserver costs about 80 bytes, inbound.  So you could
increase the poll frequency 100 times and match it, or settle for an
improvement in data to the players for a reduction in net load.

--
James Cameron                              (james.cameron@digital.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800