[VANILLA-L:40] Source tree re-organization?

Is there any particular reason that the source tree uses symlinks? I
think it makes sense to do the following.

First, move all common .h files into Server/include and change the
Makefiles to -I Server/include. This will effect the following files:

copyright.h
copyright2.h
data.h
defs.h
gencmds.h
packets.h
planets.h
struct.h

Second, move all the common .c files into Server/lib and create a
libnetrek.a (or something), change the Makefiles to -L Server/lib
and -lnetrek to link against this library.  Here is a list of
symlink'd .c files and the directories they reside in.

commands.c      robots sequencer
data.c          keycomp newstartd pledit robot sequencer tools xsg
distress.c      tools xsg
enter.c         robots
gencmds.c       robots
getpath.c       keycomp newstartd pledit robots tools xsg
getship.c       robots tools xsg
interface.c     robots
openmem.c       robots sequencer tools
orbit.c         robots
phaser.c        robots
random.c        keycomp robots tools
rint.c          keycomp pledit roobts tools
sintab.c        robots xsg
slotmaint.c     robots sequencer tools xsg
smessage.c      robots sequencer xsg
strdup.c        keycomp robots sequencer tools
sysdefaults.c   robots xsg
torp.c          robots
util.c          robot xsg

It makes sense to me to put this in to a library. Besides the symlinks
play havoc on cvs :-)

I am not an expert on the source tree layout and I may be missing
something in why symlinks are used, but it sure seems to me that we
are using symlinks to simulate a common repository of .o files, aka a
library.

Any comments on this?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700