Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2764] www.netrek.org down for Y2K upgrades

Quoting Tom Holub <doosh@best.com>:

> We have at least three active INL servers and two active hockey servers,
> none of which use RSA authentication.

Oh, ok. I just based it on the metaserver output.

> If you already have the right MP libraries,

Which MP library I thought the configure scripts for the compile took
care of. And a non-MP version of res-rsa can be built for the server
side. That is described in the INSTALL readme files in res-rsa and
Vanilla base directories.  INSTALL.RSA in the Vanilla source tree and
INSTALL in the res-rsa source tree also tells where to get the Gnu MP
libraries.

> and if the version of the
> RSA utilities you have works with the current vanilla release (which
> does not seem to be the case with the ones I have),

Making sure one has the up to date versions of software is not
particular to res-rsa.

> and your machine
> has "crypt" (which is not the case with Linux or FreeBSD),

There also exists a PGP encrypted tarball of res-rsa encrypted with
'pgp -c' locked with the same crypt key. Bob, mail him the current
crypt key and where to get the .crypt and .pgp files.

> and if you
> can figure out on your own how to generate your first key list (which
> does not appear to be documented anywhere),

The INSTALL.RSA file in the Vanilla source tree, last paragraph. (which
they have to read anyway to figure out where to get the res-rsa
package).

> maybe it's not too bad.
> I think for the common cases it's a big pain in the ass.

I do agree that the fact that one has to go beg for it is rather
annoying from a new server point of view. That gets no argument from
me. But there are copyright, patent, and ITAR issues as to why it is
done that way..

Heck once this RSA patent runs out, as Dave suggested, we can just use
the Euro version of res-rsa. Just uncrypt it, put it on a Euro ftp
site, and tell them where to go.

--Carlos V.