Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3059] wish: authenticated access for bypassingbans

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Dave Ahn wrote:

> We could add a flag to the player structure that can be checked after
> the netrek login, then if the deny bit is set, reject the player if
> he is logging in from a banned domain.

I'm not sure I understand why you would do this.  How does rejecting a domain
before login, as opposed to after login, make a difference?

Or is this the way you would let some players from a banned domain in?  I
don't think that is a very good solution.  Players would need to email the
server god with all their names, so they could be added to a bypass file.
Players wouldn't be able to make new names, or login as guest.  You would also
exclude new players, who probably won't go to the trouble of emailing someone
to ask for access if they even figure out what the problem is.

How about this.  Add a new player command called "BAN".  In order to ban a
player, his domain must be placed in a ban file by the server god.  People
from these domains can still login and play normally.  If players vote to BAN
a player, which would take only perhaps two votes, that player gets ejected.
Furthermore, the specific IP he has connected from will be banned for say 20
minutes.

If a jerk from a bannable domain logs in, he will quickly receive the two votes
necessary to be banned.  In order to come back, he'll have to get a new IP
address.  Probably by disconnecting his modem and re-connecting.  When he
comes back, he'll just get re-banned.  I imagine most annoying jerks will get
tired of this in short order, and go harass people on Usenet or IRC instead.