Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3059] wish: authenticated access for bypassing bans

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 08:20:13AM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Dave Ahn wrote:
> >
> > We could add a flag to the player structure that can be checked after
> > the netrek login, then if the deny bit is set, reject the player if
> > he is logging in from a banned domain.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why you would do this.  How does rejecting a domain
> before login, as opposed to after login, make a difference?
>
> Or is this the way you would let some players from a banned domain in?

Yeah.  I agree with you that it's not a very good solution, but it is better
than nothing.  You have good points about new players being affected.

> How about this.  Add a new player command called "BAN".  In order to ban a
[...]
> necessary to be banned.  In order to come back, he'll have to get a new IP
> address.  Probably by disconnecting his modem and re-connecting.  When he

I contend that this system would be very prone to abuse with such a low
vote requirement.  If anything, it should be harder to ban someone than
to eject them.  And if that is the case, it is more likely that annoyed
players will quit instead of trying to ban the twink 5 times in a row.
Afterall, anyone who is obnoxious enough to be deserving of a ban would
most certainly reconnect to continue annoying people.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2