Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3082] minor lag inducer

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:36:16AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> Third space planets get scanned and stay scanned, increasing the packet
> load to clients slightly due to pops in third space.
>
> (a) how much is this a problem?

A few bytes here and there won't make any difference.

> (b) could we age the info and make them go back to unscanned?

I don't think we should.  It changes the game mechanics ever so slightly,
and there is no compelling reason to make that change.  Once gained, the
3rd space planet info can be used by fellow teammates in the future to
find an appropriate place to fuel/repair in 3rd space.  If this info is
caused to expire, then this small advantage disappears.

If we want to conserve bandwidth, we can just turn off popping for 3rd
space planets.  But I honestly don't think it's necessary...

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2