Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3131] Binary portability

One thing I've notices is that compilers don't always use the same
representation for booleans.  Specifically, VC++ on NT uses 1 byte,  whereas
gcc uses 4 bytes for a boolean.  This made the communications package we
were using at work (Task Communications Architecture, from CMU) break when
used across platforms.  I could not convince either compiler to change its
representation of booleans, and I didn't have time to port the VC++ build to
Win32 gcc, so I had to redefine the protocol to not use booleans.

Just a thought.

-Dan