> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:13:00 -0500
> From: "Nick Scholtes" <airchia at gmail.com>

> I would like to re-build Lightwave 3D to run on
> Linux. (Actually, I have a number of graphics applications I use that I
> would like to re-build on Linux.)

As has been suggested, there are tools already in place, or well-started.

Instead of Lightwave, give Blender [1] a try. If it's good enough for
Spider-Man 2 and the History Channel, it's probably already pretty good.
If it's missing something you want or need, you can change the code
yourself, or hire someone (get a collection for a bounty together) to
make it happen.

For any graphics application you can name, there's probably an open
replacement well under way, and there are many ways to help those
projects along. Join the communities, help with testing, documentation,
evangelism, raise money, code, etc.

Chris

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)